According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately nine people die each day as a result of distracted driving.
As safety is an ongoing effort within the fleet industry for both large trucks and small, it is important for fleet managers to have their drivers practice safe driving.
Here are five ways to help fleet drivers eliminate unnecessary driver distractions:
1. Don’t Multi-Task. When on the road, many drivers can be tempted to do other things and multi-task. However, drivers should only be focused on the road to avoid an accident.
2. Don’t Eat. Eating or drinking while driving can be a huge distraction. Therefore, drivers should eat before or after their trips on the road. If necessary, they can pull to the side of the road to eat in a safe place.
3. No Phones. If a driver must make a phone call, they should pull over to make the call. Although hand-free talking is available within many vehicles, it can still result in an accident. In addition, drivers should never text. To accomplish this, keep all electronics out of reach.
4. Get Organized. Driving with unnecessary clutter all over a vehicle can result in distracted driving. Drivers should organize all paperwork, baggage and gear prior to heading out on the road.
5. Adjust Before. To avoid distracted driving, drivers should set GPS systems, climate control, mirrors and seats before getting on the road.
With safety in mind, Impac offers reliable fleet fuel card programs and innovative GPS tracking and reporting systems. With access to specialized telematics data provided by these technologies, driver behavior can be properly reported, monitored and handled accordingly.
To take a step towards reduced distracted driving within your fleet, contact Impac.